If you’re currently looking at moving to a senior community and comparing the benefits of independent living or assisted living, you may have quite a few questions on the relative merit of each option.
It’s important to know what features are truly beneficial to you and what type of living fits your personal needs when searching for the appropriate level of care for yourself or a loved one in a senior community.
At Senior Lifestyle we believe that information is the most valuable tool we can offer prospective residents and families, so we’d like to share some of what we’ve found to be most useful from over 30 years’ experience in senior living.
What’s the difference between independent living and assisted living in a Senior Lifestyle community? Let’s compare:
Independent Living at a Senior Lifestyle Community
Independent living means that our dedicated staff is there to accommodate the unique lifestyle our residents choose so that they can enjoy the freedom to do what makes them happy. The flexibility afforded by this lifestyle option often has residents wondering why they didn’t make the decision to move sooner.
Our independent living communities offer incredible social opportunities for seniors who are still able to perform activities that are necessary for daily living on their own; these activities would include such tasks as dressing, personal hygiene, medication management and meal preparation.
We believe the key to a positive independent living experience lies in having a well-trained and dedicated service staff to anticipate the wants and needs of our residents, so naturally, one of our top priorities is to empower our team of professionals to deliver the highest standards in hospitality services. Our motto Your Life, Your Style means just that; tell us what you’d like and how you’d like it, and we’ll deliver.
Families considering an independent living community for their loved one can help seniors maintain independence by practicing interactive caregiving, partnering with their loved one to accomplish activities of daily living instead of taking over.
Additionally, when their needs change, loved ones can help seniors navigate the senior living journey by having open conversations with them that focus on long-term needs and maintaining a level of independence that fits those needs. When changes need to happen, family members can also focus on the positive aspects of those changes.
Features of Our Independent Living Communities
Every Senior Lifestyle independent living community has its own unique identity, but in general the following services and amenities are available for our residents:
- Fine dining with seasonal, locally sourced ingredients prepared by an executive chef and served restaurant-style by our professionally trained service staff. Continental breakfast is often available, with restaurant-style dining for lunch and dinner.
- Stimulating and engaging Life Enrichment Programs designed to provide social opportunities and exploration of interests
- Private dining accommodations for special occasions
- Routine housekeeping service
- Transportation service to local shopping centers, physicians’ offices or local attractions
- 24-Hour emergency call system and up and about checks
- On-site physical, occupational, and speech therapy services
- On-site beauty salon and barber shop
Assisted Living at a Senior Lifestyle Community
For those who struggle with activities of daily living, the support offered by assisted living in a Senior Lifestyle community provides residents with the opportunity to live the lifestyle they’ve always wanted in an atmosphere of security and comfort.
With restaurant-style dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner, weekly housekeeping and on-site maintenance personnel, we trade the “to-do” list for the “want to do” list, freeing our residents from chores so they can enjoy life to the fullest.
Senior Lifestyle provides a lifestyle that fosters independence, actively engages the mind, invigorates the body and nurtures the spirit, while offering you and your loved ones the reassurance that assistance will always be at hand.
Prior to move-in, we’ll work with you and your physician to create a plan of care that offers just the right mix of assistance and independence. We’ll be here to help with activities of daily living and our licensed nursing staff will be available at any time.
Features of Our Assisted Living Communities
Senior Lifestyle assisted living offers:
- Assistance at any time: We call it “care that’s always there”. Families can rest assured that their loved one will always have assistance available. Assistance with everyday needs is a moment away, and a wearable emergency call pendant or in-room pull-cord can summon help in an emergency.
Licensed staff is on hand 24 hours a day to meet your needs.
- Social opportunities: We often say that our residents love their apartments but don’t spend much time in them. Our activities and events thrive because our residents are diverse, interesting individuals who love to collaborate with their neighbors and our staff.
Activities and events designed specifically for seniors provide each resident with opportunities to make friends every day, whether staying in or going out on the town. Opportunities to grow, reflect, move and connect abound at Senior Lifestyle communities and we tailor our programming to the needs and wants of residents, helping build relationships along the way.
- Freedom to enjoy your carefree lifestyle: Our goal at every senior community is to remove worries about housekeeping, yard maintenance, shoveling snow, meal preparation or any of the other daily chores that can take up your valuable time. Your time is better spent enjoying all that your new lifestyle has to offer.
You’ll enjoy dining with friends in an inviting atmosphere that rivals any local eatery, with locally sourced ingredients prepared with care by our executive chef, socializing with family in a relaxed atmosphere and a maintenance-free living space.
- Assistance on your schedule, not ours: Assistance with medications, dressing, bathing and other activities of daily living is available as part of your Personalized Service Plan, which can be adjusted as your needs change. We’ll build your plan to fit you and work with you to deliver the care and services you need, when you need them.
Schedule a Tour at a Senior Lifestyle Community
For more information on the differences between independent living and assisted living in a Senior Lifestyle community, please visit our website at www.seniorlifestyle.com. Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to schedule a tour of a senior community in your area and show you a lifestyle that provides all the comforts of home.